Sunday, January 21, 2018

Hospital Day 1-4

Day 1-3 - I woke up with absolutely no feeling in both legs (my right leg has been numb for years, but over the last 7 weeks my left leg had been slowly getting number) and weakness when I stood, so we called an ambulance.  Lots of doctor visits, poking & prodding and MRI while trying to work out what to do.  After consulting with Brisbane hospital, it was decided I would be flown down for spinal surgery.

Mum and I taking selfies when we were bored.


Rescue chopper heli-pad was outside my room - Clay enjoyed watching it coming & going.


Flowers from Craig's work!


Day 4 - I was flown to Royal Brisbane & Women's Hospital (RBWH) on the Royal Flying Doctors Service.


Sent this pic to some family & friends - knowing my fear of flying a number of them did question if I had been drugged up! LOL


I had another MRI and the head sugeon came in to see me.  I was told I was going to have surgery the next day!!  

Decompression is a surgical procedure that is performed to alleviate pain caused by pinched nerves (neural impingement).
During a lumbar decompression back surgery, a small portion of the bone over the nerve root and/or disc material from under the nerve root is removed to give the nerve root more space and provide a better healing environment. 
lumbar laminectomy (open decompression) is typically performed for pain from lumbar spinal stenosis. The goal of the surgery is to allow more room for the nerve root, thus reducing pain (and potentially any leg weakness or neurological symptoms) and restoring the patient’s ability to participate in everyday activities.

Kristy visited me that afternoon and brought a box of card making supplies to keep me busy!



No comments: