Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Modern Cloth Nappies

I know this not typically a "baby" blog, but I really wanted to share this post :)  This post has been sitting in my draft folder for a while and since we are starting to look at toilet training, I thought I had better publish it.  This is totally random, but I wanted to talk about Modern Cloth Nappies (MCN).  When I found out I was pregnant I knew I wanted to use MCN - for environment and financial advantages, but none of my friends used them (well Becca had, but it had been over 5 years and there have been changes in MCN since then LOL).  I researched about them online, joined FB chat groups and talked to other mums.  Some people were negative about the idea and tried to talk me out of it and some people (especially my mum) were super supportive and encouraged me.  Craig and I discussed it and even though it seemed like a huge financial outlay, we decided to give it a go.  

Now there are soooo many different types, brands, styles of MCN - it can be a bit overwhelming.  Some people are brand / type only and won't buy CC (China cheapies) and there are others like us who buy any and all brands (especially if they have a cute design).  I brought 3 new CC from a local seller, but then decided to buy a few second hand ones.  Now, I will admit I was a bit squeamish about buying / using 2nd hand nappies, but I soon realised that it was common place on the FB groups I was with.  It allows you to build up your stash, try different brands and see what suits you.  At over $30 each new compared to around $5-$10 second hand - that's a lot more nappies you can add to your stash.  I will confess this - buying MCN is addictive!! LOL  This is only a small portion of our stash- told you addictive :)


So how easy are they to use?  Easy! Unlike the old terry squares, there are no fancy folds - these cute nappies are shaped just like a disposable :)  There are snaps at the front (called risers) which allows you to shorted the length of the nappy so you can use from newborn (I admit we didn't use MCN till Clay was about 4 weeks old - we just wanted to get over the shock of having him first LOL).  




We us a disposable liner, but you can buy / make re-usable ones.  

Washing is an easy routine - we just dry pail (no soaking) and wash every 2nd day.  I wash in a hot cycle, then wash again in a cold cycle with Clay's clothes (to save water).

This is just a basic post to share our MCN use, but there are numerous websites and FB pages with more information if you are interested.  Feel free to email me if you any questions :)