Today is another quick and easy gift idea - something nice to have on hand in case you need a gift for unexpected visitors.
Spice Christmas Cookies
In the jar -
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp mixed spice
(Either layer the ingredients or place in jar and shake to mix together)
On the tag -
35g unsalted butter, chopped
2 tbs golden syrup
Icing for decorating
1. Line baking tray with baking paper.
2. Pour ingredients from jar into a bowl.
3. Using fingertips, rub in butter until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
4. Add golden syrup and mix to form a soft dough.
5. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for 1-2 minutes , until dough is smooth. Cover with cling wrap and chill for 30 mins.
6. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 degrees fan). Roll dough on a lightly floured until 5mm thick.
7. Cut shapes from dough. Place on prepared oven trays, allowing room for spreading. Chill for 10 mins.
8. Bake for 10 mins till golden brown. Cool on trays. Decorate cookies just before serving.
To decorate the jar - cut a piece of material approx 3cm larger than the lid. Place
over lid and hold in place with a rubberband. Tie tag and cookie cutter on with a piece of string.
You can use your own favourite biscuit reciepe or get more recipes online - just google "cookies in a jar reciepes". I found a few delicous recipes - here, here, and here.