Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 9 - Akaroa

We woke up to find the boat docked in the enormous bay at Akaroa! I found out that Akaroa lies inside the eroded craters of an old volcano, now flooded by the Pacific Ocean.


We took a 20 minute ride in the tenders (lifeboats) to the wharf.


We booked a 2 hour nature cruise to see the rare Hector’s dolphins, NZ fur seals and white flippered penguins, plus all the beautiful rock formations.








We were lucky enough to see lots of dolphins, but unfortunately they were too quick for me to get any photos :( I was just so happy to see the dolphins :) Our tour guide explained that seeing the dolphins is like walking through bamboo and seeing a Panda or walking through the jungle and seeing a Bengal Tiger - I didn't realise how rare they were! Luckily Craig managed to get lots of footage on the video camera, so once I work out how to load that up I will share it :) ! We also got to see a couple of the penguins floating / swimming around in the water - they were all out hunting for food.

After the cruise we went for a walk around Akaroa and had a look in the shops. I brought some NZ theme ribbon in a little gift shop :) Craig was surprised that I managed to buy scrapping stuff - does that man not know me by now?!?!? He he We were told to have fish & chips at the local shop - so we waited in line for about 1 hour to order our lunch! It's a VERY popular place :) We had a combo deal - fish, chips, hot dog (pluto pup) on a stick and drink - definately worth waiting for :) Found this sign of the Hector's dolphins as we were walking around - this is how big they get! :)


We took the tender back to the boat and spent a few hours relaxing in the Dome before dinner, then off to bed for an early night.

No comments: